Old May 17th 15, 06:23 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Forehead[_6_]

Default Hubble: Should I be disappointed?

On 5/15/2015 10:49 PM, wrote:
I have lately be absolutely enthralled by the pictures from Hubble. I always
have been, but I guess with the recent TV shows because of the 25th anniversary
of Hubble, I've really been awed by the beauty out there. But then I read
something that brought me up short. I read that if we were out in space and
could see these objects, they wouldn't be anywhere near as spectacular as the
pictures, since the pictures are composites of many different photos, xray,
ultraviolet, light wave, etc. It really brought me down. So, as I asked, should
I be disappointed? Is this just Photo Shopping on an astronomical scale (pun
intended), in order to justify Hubble? Just wondering. Thanks.

I have been a telescope enthusiast for more
than 30 years, and seen many a beautiful
object ... out there. When you see something
through your telescope you come to realize
that you are eying, touching, the actual light
coming from that object- not just a recreation
of said light, like in photos, on websites, etc.
Hubble has been a great great tool for the world.
I hear its replacement is going to be even better.
4HEAD