Old October 14th 13, 05:06 PM posted to sci.space.history
Tony Sanfilippo

Default Mystery Mir and Buran photos

On Sunday, October 13, 2013 12:05:54 PM UTC-4, OM wrote:
On Saturday, October 12, 2013 8:03:45 PM UTC-5, Tony Sanfilippo wrote:

Hi,

I was sent here from a site called AskMetafiler as I was told there that you folks would be helpful in identifying the source of these images. I found these in a thrift store in Pennsylvania, as two little portfolios. They're about 18cm x 12cm and appear to be actual photographic prints. One set is for the Mir program and the other is for the Buran program. Odd thing is the English listing of the captions inside the portfolios. Why English? Anyone know where they're from? Whether you can help or not, I suspect this group might really enjoy these images.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/toeknee...7636469508814/

...Boy, once upon a time you could have posted this RFI, and at least a hundred regulars would have jumped on the request and probably gotten you an answer. However, with the trolls having run off everyone...well, that being said, these portfolios are new to me. It looks like they may have been some sort of commemorative set akin to trading cards. Were they in any sort of special binder? And on the cards with the Times Roman "typewriter" text, was there anything on the back side, such as copyright info? For that matter, did *any* of these cards have anything on the backs, such as captions in Cyrillic?

OM

The captions aren't typed. If you look close you'll see the captions were printed using a dot matrix printer.

The portfolios are constructed out of a single piece of cardboard which wraps around the set and has a flap. The cover photo and printed captions seem glued onto the cardboard, captions on the inside, and the back of the portfolios are reinforced with a glossy white piece of paper.

No copyright marks or any other marks except penciled numbers on the back which correspond to the caption lists.