Old November 1st 08, 01:55 PM posted to sci.space.station,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.history,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics
Pat Flannery

Default Trash from Intl Space Station, tank of toxic ammonia coolant,expected to strike earth on 11/2. No other way?

wrote:

NASA and the U.S. Space Surveillance Network are tracking the object —
a 1,400-pound (635-kg) tank of toxic ammonia coolant thrown from the
international space station — to make sure it does not endanger people
on Earth. Exactly where the tank will inevitably fall is currently
unknown, though it is expected to re-enter Earth's atmosphere Sunday
afternoon or later that evening, NASA officials said.

Oh, that thing is finally coming down, huh?
I'm surprised it decayed that fast, given its mass versus size.
I'm amazed it took that weight of ammonia to run through the radiators
and keep everything cool; the Russians used glycol in Mir's radiators.
Let's see if the Navy takes a pot-shot at it on general principles. :-)

Pat