Old March 23rd 19, 01:23 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

Default Jupiter: Spectacular picture of Jupiter's storms

On Fri, 22 Mar 2019 16:41:03 -0700 (PDT), RichA
wrote:

On Friday, 22 March 2019 11:09:16 UTC-4, Chris L Peterson wrote:
On Fri, 22 Mar 2019 07:30:36 -0700 (PDT), RichA
wrote:

On Friday, 22 March 2019 06:47:10 UTC-4, StarDust wrote:
https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-47667729

This beautiful picture of Jupiter was assembled from three separate images acquired by Nasa's Juno spacecraft as it made another of its close passes of the gas giant.

I think they should show it as it is, not with pumped-up colour.

It is precisely our ability to stretch the contrast and enhance color
saturation (or even change the palette completely) that allows us to
extend our senses and see that which we otherwise could not. If this
image was processed to match the capabilities of our eyes, we'd miss
large amounts of information.

These enhancements allow us to see Jupiter much more "as it is" than
if we didn't use them.

There is NO way to tell if detail "created" via deconvolution, colour exaggeration or other "enhancement" methods is real or not. I remember these arguments when digital first got going in astronomy.

Rubbish. All of the raw data is publicly available.

https://www.missionjuno.swri.edu/Vau...3&t=1528468966
https://www.missionjuno.swri.edu/Vau...4&t=1528468966
https://www.missionjuno.swri.edu/Vau...2&t=1528468966

Feel free to process it yourself, however you want. Feel free to
compare the raw data to processed images made by other people.