Old May 11th 17, 11:41 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Bob Haller

Default RD-180 relplacement

On Tuesday, May 9, 2017 at 4:28:12 PM UTC-4, Fred J. McCall wrote:
I'm confused. The program to replace the RD-180 is focused on engines
with around 400,000 lb thrust at sea level. This focuses them on the
AR-1 (kerosene/LOC) and BE-4 (methane/LOX). Why are they not looking
at the RS-25 (LH2/LOX with similar thrust) or the Raptor engine
(methane/LOX)?

Seems like we're getting a lot of different engines when it might be
more efficient to settle on just a couple.

--George Bernard Shaw

space x engines are built by robotics, the engine bells are made on 3d printers