Old February 1st 08, 04:30 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: M92 is not just Hercules' other globular

Doug W. wrote:
You have a knack for clusters I believe.. This is a great shot and I like
the subtle color treatment.

Thanks, to me its my best globular to date. I'm not sure on color. To
me the old black and white "spilled pile of salt" images are the "best".
But I don't get that seeing so this will do.

I don't know about a knack. Normally my seeing makes them look pretty
crappy. This was apparently that one night in a thousand with great
seeing -- and I apparently slept through it. I burned in the core.
There's a small area of probably 5 or 6 stars that hit the max ADU
count. A minute less on each frame would have been ideal. Oh well,
when that one night in a thousand rolls around again I'll try again,
assuming M92 is in position of course.

Now that I'm into the NGC's cleaning the hard drive I'm finding some
pretty crappy clusters I didn't process, probably for that reason. But
what with all the clouds there's no imaging to do so might as well do
the crappy ones. I also just found M26 filed as NGC 26. So much for my
typographical skills. That hasn't been processed either. So it's back
to M objects again. That cluster didn't look bad considering its low
declination from up north.

Rick