Old October 30th 03, 02:01 AM

Default Aurora still going!

What a night! It's still going strong, and for once I've got clear
skies )

I'm starting to feel a bit cold and tired though, so I'll probably
only have another short look before heading to bed (which probably
means I'll be out for hours yet )

This has probably been the best display I've ever seen, and definitely
the most active and "flickery". I've taken loads of pics, but
unfortunately only on film as I left my digital camera at work :[

One interesting(?) thing I noticed though was that there were lots of
"pulses" of activity (maybe streams of particles?) coming up from the
West, passing overhead - with a little wiggle - and down to the East.
I was expecting that after midnight it would have changed to go the
other way, but it's still very consistently from West to East.

Is there a reason it flows that way? I'd have thought it to be more
likely to go the other way, due to the Earth's rotation, but maybe
there's some interaction with the magnetic field?

David P.

--
Nattering Nabob #1 of the MOHSG

(alpha version of .sig)