Old December 10th 16, 02:54 PM posted to sci.space.history
Stuf4

Default OM aka Bob Mosley

Here is a comment I had posted to this forum earlier this year:

=========
....the reason why SSH became a cesspool was never the fault of any one person in particular. I saw it to be the fault of the group as a whole.

If there is ever a case (cyber or non) where one person is being abusively treated, then other members of the community have the opportunity to speak up to voice objection to such behavior. There is a critical mass where a certain number of people are acting abusively, and another certain percentage are choosing to remain silent on the matter, forming a tacit base of approval. THAT is when a turning point is reached and a community becomes toxic.

The problem here was never OM as an individual. It was everyone who chose the path of not respecting all members. And it was everyone who remained silent, enabling such toxicity to persist.

This is hardly a problem limited to this forum. Nor limited to Usenet. Nor limited to the web. It is a problem that has persisted throughout all of human history.
=========

John Glenn died this week. He did not live a perfect life. But he lived a very disciplined, principled life. For me, that puts him into a category with folks like George Washington.

Some people live their lives as role models.
Others serve as examples of character traits to be avoided.
And the line between the two is not always distinct.
We are all capable of behavior on either side of that line.
Every day we are faced with choices for which side to be on.
But eventually those decisions quicken into our habits.
And that is what defines us as our character.

~ CT