Old December 19th 12, 01:35 PM posted to sci.space.station
Brian Gaff

Default Why was a sat, lost during Challenger accident?

Chuckle ah I see, some engineer somewhere deemed he knew better I suppose.
I've met these, We had one in a firm I worked for who thought situating a
working radar scanner next to the window of the main stars in a building
was safe. Until someone brought a radiation detector there and the field
strength went off the scale every time the scanner pointed in the window.
Needless to say, it was taken to the roof pdq.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Chris Jones" wrote in message
"Brian Gaff" writes:

Were they going to launch it from the Shuttle, I thought by then they had
gone over to rockets?

First, the shuttle qualifies as "rockets".

No, they hadn't switched to expendables yet; the Challenger accident was
the impetus (or the nail in the coffin). Prior to the accident, in
fact, two interplanetary probes (Magellan and Galileo) were scheduled
to be launched on uprated Centaur stages carried into orbit by the
shuttle, something that was massively against NASA safety rules which
applied to everyone but NASA.