Old July 9th 09, 02:28 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley

Default Spotted on http://hsf.nasa.gov/topics.php

"Derek Lyons" wrote in message
"Jeff Findley" wrote:
Some argue that NASA should still build its own launch vehicles (i.e. Ares
and Ares V), but I find the arguments for this position to be weak and
ineffective.

Mostly because you've decided in advance that NASA shouldn't be in the
launcher business no matter what.

US law says they should not be in the commercial launch business. EELV's
can easily replace Ares I. There is no need for it.

But even better would be to have NASA invest in developing in orbit
refueling technologies so that launch vehicle size is no longer a huge
constraint to launching a lunar mission. In orbit refueling would be a
paradigm changing technology.

And here Jeff trots out his favorite hobby horse again. The paint is
a bit worn, but enough of the outline can still be seen to allow one
to recreate the fantasy.

In orbit refueling would replace Ares V and would open up the architecture
for other nations to participate (by delivering fuel to the depot) in a way
that keeps them off the critical path. Also, it's a key enabling technology
for a Mars mission. If you think NASA is going to get funding for a launch
vehicle even bigger than Ares V to launch a manned Mars mission, I've got a
bridge I'd like to sell you...

And yes, I don't believe NASA should be in the launch vehicle business
anymore than NACA should have been in the passenger airliner business.

Jeff
--
"Take heart amid the deepening gloom
that your dog is finally getting enough cheese" - Deteriorata - National