Old January 24th 05, 09:17 PM
RMOLLISE

Hi:

Too_Many_Tools wrote:

Does
one see many disabled GOTOs at the star parties for sale?

No...I don't, anyway.

In reference to the LX200 and Nexstar series of scopes, are the
components used off the shelf or are they customized? I remember my
first reaction when I saw the split ring inside the Nexstar 11GPS and
thinking potential point of failure in the future. In my experience

any
custom component will be a pain later to replace when, not if it

fails.

Many of the components, the mechanical components used in the scope are
off-the-shelf, used in the companies' other scopes, will continue to be
used and available, or can be easily fabricated. Electronic components?
Aye, there's the rub. Some components, ICs, etc., which were commonly
available when your scope was new will, in the normal course of things,
be scarce or impossible to obtain 10 years later. There's not much of a
solution to that and some owners of the earlier Classic LX200s are
encountering that problem now (this isn't yet a serious problem, as
Meade is still repairing LX200s themselves).

I think of the world of computers where it is next to impossible to

get
many parts for machines that are older than three years old. Only as
long as the used supply exists can one find what is needed. It is one
of the reasons why we buy new rather than fix the old. It is also one
of the reasons why discarded electronics are being such a problem in
the waste stream.

Yes, see above.

would agree the relocation of the OTA to a different mount will be a
common way to salvage a dead GOTO scope in the future if support
disappears or the cost to repair is excessive.

That's what I think. And cost is relative. You can get a new goto GEM,
a good one, for about (or less) than the price of a new
top-of-the-line laptop PC. And you're liable to get more years (and
more fun) out of the GEM! ;-)

Thanks again for addressing this topic,

SRU

You're welcome. ;-)