Old May 24th 06, 07:05 PM posted to sci.space.history

Default Farthest man from Earth?

"John Gilbert" ) writes:
Which of the Apollo moon missions went the farthest away from the Earth?
Is there a recognized record holder? Perhaps the Moon was a few miles
farther out during one mission, or perhaps one mission orbited the Moon
at a much higher altitude, etc?

When the six missions landed, did any of the poor fellows left in moon
orbit end up adjusting said orbit to a much higher altitude?

No need to. Think about it; all the landings were on the side of the
Moon nearest to Earth. So, when any of the 6 CSMs manned by only the
CSM pilot went behind the Moon, relative to Earth, they had to be
farther from Earth than anyone on the Moon's Nearside surface.

Can we say with any accuracy that person X went the farthest away from the
Earth or that the three man team of X, Y, Z jointly holds the record for
being farthest away?

As happy as NASA is about their record books, I have never seen mention of
which astronaut(s) hold(s) this particular record...

Andre