Old February 11th 04, 01:30 PM
nafod40

Default Accumulate Fuel at Space Station?

wrote:
I think the fuel danger is not excessive. The fuel containers could be
kept at a considerable distance from the station, on a wire heading
toward the earth. Tidal forces would keep the wire taught. That might
be necessary if they were solid fuel, which could explode if hit by a
micro-meteorite.

OTOH, if the fuel was two components, say oxygen and hydrogen, then
neither oxygen tanks not hydrogen tanks are explosive on their own. To
keep them cold in space mainly requires sheilding from sunlight.

We could send up water, then just let solar array-powered electrolysis
slowly do its magic to make the fuel. Two years for a bag of fuel? No
problem, no rush.

That way no volatile components in the launch. You could freeze the
water, and use it as part of the structure of the launch vehicle to
reduce weight. Alternate launch techniques such as rail guns? The
payload would certainly tolerate the G's.