Old May 3rd 04, 05:35 PM
Nicholas Fitzpatrick

Brett Buck wrote:
On 5/1/04 6:42 AM, in article , "Nicholas
Fitzpatrick" wrote:
I'm sure I'm not the only one who had to look this up, not knowing
what a psi is equivalent to. I'm sure everyone knows that 1 atmosphere
= 101.3 kPA ... but many of us forget that this equals 14.7 psi

We do? Gee, *I* got through 4th grade science!

Well, I certainly do ... and I thought that others might not be familiar
enough with Imperial units to do it without looking it up, so I thought
I would simply pass on what I had just looked up, to help anyone else.
Only trying to help. Don't see why this has to be a flame-war ...
outside of the USA, there are few people who would have much
familiarity with those units ... and I thought NASA now had deemed
that all their subcontractors had to use metric units now, after
that Mars accident.

Personally, I got through engineering without having to do much in psi ..
certainly saw enough kPa ... and the Imperial stuff I saw was all in
atmospheres. (though I certainly learned where to find the conversion
necessary when I need it ... I just never use it enough to have any
feel for it intuitively ... but then I can never master Farenheight
either, and I see that frequently enough ... always have to convert
it to something I can get my head around.

When I watch the weather, they always give you pressures
in kPa around here ... and my recollection being in the States that
that they don't use psi during a weather forecast either ...

Nick