Old February 27th 04, 08:55 PM
starlord

Default Question About Probes

The trouble with just photos is they only show what anything looks
like, they tell nothing about WHAT anything is made of. The rovers are
about as simple as you can get and yet still be able to give good data
about what they are testing.

--
"Knowledge is a 3 edged Sword" Kosh on Babylon 5
www.starlords.org

"BenignVanilla" wrote in message
I have been closely following the Mars mission and understand the

importance
of the experiments, but certainly all of that gear ads complexity.

Then I
look at the photo's Cassini is sending back and am in awe. So I got

thinking, what the complexities be, in designing a probe that is

just a hi
res camera, and a transmitter/receiver. Considering economy of

scale, if the
device were small and simple, we could product them cheaply and in

such
quantities that we could launch them all over the solar system. Let

them
wander, take photo's and send them home.

What are we talking in expense? complexity? doablibility?

--
BV.
www.iheartmypond.com