Old October 21st 04, 02:02 AM
Joseph Lazio

"sd" == sheep defender writes:

sd In article ,
sd (Wfoley2) wrote:

Perhaps you should specify which plane you are asking about. Is it
a 747, a 737, an aerobus, a galaxy, or a galactic cluster??

sd The Plane of the Galaxy, since this is an astronomy group.

No, that still doesn't make it obvious. In addition to the Galactic
plane, there's also the ecliptic plane and the Supergalactic plane.

In any event, returning to the question, I'm not entirely sure that it
is well posed. I think it is possible to answer the following
question, Where on Earth do you have to live in order to see stars at
both positive and negative Galactic latitudes (i.e., more or less
"above and below the Galactic plane") on every night of the year? I
presume we can make the standard assumptions of being in a dark site
with no mountains or other tall things around.

The Galactic plane runs nearly through Cepheus. In the northern
hemisphere at mid-latitudes, Cepheus is circumpolar. Thus, I'd say
that one could see stars at both positive and negative latitudes every
night of the year.

--
Lt. Lazio, HTML police | e-mail:

No means no, stop rape. |