Old August 22nd 18, 11:41 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

Default Load and Go a Go

In article ,
says...

Jeff Findley wrote on Tue, 21 Aug 2018
19:51:37 -0400:
Like Fred said, dummies.

I got the attribution wrong. You didn't say "dummies".

Specifically, instrumented "crash test"
dummies. They're used in the aerospace industry as well as the
automotive industry. They mimic the mass, strength, and etc of a human
and are instrumented to measure the accelerations at various parts of
the dummy's body. They're literally "off the shelf" items.

Actually, I think the whole 'dummy test' scenario is unnecessary. Were
dummies used to test the Shuttle or Apollo or Gemini or Mercury?

Monkeys were the human analog used to test Mercury. Gemini and Apollo
had instrumented uncrewed test flights. The STS-1 was a mistake. There
were several issues with that first flight that could have resulted in
LOC.

For current uncrewed test flights using off the shelf crash test dummies
(i.e. min size female and max size male) is the cheapest way to
instrument the vehicle to see what accelerations the meat bags will have
to endure.

Jeff