Old September 20th 19, 01:10 PM posted to sci.space.policy
David Spain

Default Meet The Nuclear-Powered Self-Driving Drone NASA Is Sending To AMoon Of Saturn

On 2019-09-18 11:40 PM, Scott Kozel wrote:
On Wednesday, September 18, 2019 at 11:24:55 AM UTC-4, David Spain wrote:
"Daytime" surface illumination is 1000x less than Earth or 1000x full
moonlight predominately in red and near IR light, thus a human explorer
would get a largely dim B&W experience w/o a headlight.

The surface photos from Huygens seemed brighter and more colorful than that.

I suspect those photos were post processed a bit to bring out contrast.
In full moonlight is IS barely possible to make out color. So it might
be possible that 1000x moonlight would show some color but with the
visible spectrum largely in the color red, I suspect your eye's rods
rather than cones would be doing most of the heavy lifting and colors
will look false (like green as grey and yellow maybe as white, etc)
until your headlight hits them.

Most definitely one's suit will need ample heating. Maybe it too
contains a portable atomic reactor!

Dave