Old December 2nd 17, 06:15 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Gerald Kelleher

Default The Equation of Time(keeping)

On Saturday, December 2, 2017 at 1:43:01 AM UTC, palsing wrote:

..

The only error is your own interpretation of what Newton had to say...

There was only one imitator worth commenting on and that was Newton himself, all the others and merely aping what he done in making things up as he went along. At least he did it in a systemic way and that is what makes it at least bearable.

"Absolute time, in astronomy, is distinguished from relative, by the equation of time. For the natural days are truly unequal, though they are commonly considered as equal and used for a measure of time; astronomers correct this inequality for their more accurate deducing of the celestial motions...The necessity of which equation, for determining the times of a phænomenon, is evinced as well from the experiments of the pendulum clock, as by eclipses of the satellites of Jupiter." Principia

You are kids despite your age, people who pay homage to those 100 years ago conjured up a story based on Newton's absolute/relative definitions without actually knowing what they refer to. I couldn't give a flying f*ck who it inconveniences but a bunch of theoretical phonies acting like echo chambers for people 100 years ago is the least of my concerns.