Old July 28th 08, 02:30 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Mark S. Holden

Default Stellafane

jeff wrote:
Dennis Woos wrote:
Anybody going to Stellafane? My sons and I will be there, and are
looking forward to another great weekend of amateur astronomy. It has
been rain,rain,rain here in Vermont, but we are hopeful that we will
have gotten the rain out of our system and that 8/1-8/3 will be
wonderfully clear.

Last year we didn't bring any optics, and spent our observing time
looking through other's (mostly big) scopes. This was a useful
reminder that big is often not better! This year, I am tempted to
again roam the fields but spend more time observing with smaller and
homemade scopes. The view through a great 6" is just fine by me.

I wonder if John Dobson will be there?

John will not be here this year. His east coast loop is later in the year.

Is he still planning to travel this year? Last I'd heard he was
recovering from a stroke.

I'm guessing Stellafane dropped lower on his priority list when the
Springfield ATMS invited him to attend a couple of years ago, but told
him he wouldn't be allowed to speak.

His theory of cosmology is controversial, but I can't think of anyone
alive who has done more for the hobby of telescope making.