Old November 16th 04, 04:36 PM
Ed Kyle

H Brown wrote:
Not all of the D series used "radio" guidance.

There were D "AIG" or All Inrtia Guidance boosters. I can't remember

exctly
when they being launched but it was before June of 1962 when I left

the
Cape. The pod on the side was much larger than the regular D series

so that
they could fit the guidance system in it. As I vaguely recall, the

AIG
guidance was built "ARMA". Can't recall much more than that since

it's been
a long time and I was in telemetry at the time.

By the spring of 1963 we were launching mostly the E and F series at

the
Cape.

Harry

According to:
"http://www.designation-systems.net/dusrm/m-16.html"
and: "http://www.geocities.com/atlas_missile/"

component testing of the new Bosh ARMA all-inertial guidance
system for the Atlas E missiles began on modified Atlas D
missiles in March 1960. The first Atlas E launch (a failure)
occurred on Oct 11, 1960. The first Atlas E success took
place four months later. The last Atlas D R&D test at the
Cape reportedly occurred on Jan 23, 1961. After that the
only Atlas D launches from the Cape were for space launch
(or in the case of NASA's Project FIRE, space R&D) purposes.
- Ed Kyle