Old June 23rd 18, 01:38 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.physics,rec.arts.sf.science
Jeff Findley[_6_]

Default Towards routine, reusable space launch.

In article ,
says...
Any elasticity in the cable means that when the initial break at
geostationaly happens, the elasticity will pull cable down more than
just gravity. But that extra force will also result in the top most
portion accelerating horizontally. So it isn't clear that as the
tension is released, the cable would "snake"

When a very long cable breaks, the end that broke starts accelerating
towards the end that's still fixed. It's not going to stop moving when
the tension is gone due to inertia (i.e. objects in motion tend to stay
in motion unless acted upon by an external force). That cable is going
to go into compression. Guess what happens to a cable that you put into
compression?

Again, look at the papers written on the subject of the dynamics of a
broken space elevator. It's not going to stay straight!

Jeff