Old August 30th 14, 02:24 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
RichA[_1_]

Default M27 in narrowband

On Thursday, August 28, 2014 8:16:11 PM UTC-4, Uncarollo2 wrote:
We finally had one decent night where the clouds parted briefly and I was able to get 1 hour each of H-a, OIII and SIII. The SIII was at the end of the session where thin clouds started drifting through, so this is a very preliminary narrowband image. It was taken with my QSI 683 camera attached to a new 180F9 scope that is under test.

I was pleased with the resolution of this setup, with the QSI working at 0.69 arc sec per pixel, and the seeing was good enough to achieve 1.4 arc sec FWHM in each 10 minute sub.

http://www.astromart.com/common/imag...3.jpg&caption=

Why narrowband? Since my observatory is now surrounded by malls with high power parking lot lights, I can't really see much anymore here, even on very clear nights. Typically I can see 5 or 6 of the brightest stars, Vega, Deneb, etc., but not much else. The sky is almost milky white here with huge patches of reddish doom to the south and west. A local restaurant also has four spotlights/floodlights, aimed outward, which shine almost directly at my observatory. So, the next best thing for my situation is to image with narrowband filters, and get my deep sky fix that way.

Uncadeepsky

The only solution (visually) for light pollution is aperture and filters. I lived under similar circumstances and with an OXYIII and 11" SCT I was able to see the Veil nebula with good texture and detail. Smaller scopes, it's a tough slog.
Good image!