Old July 14th 03, 10:49 AM
Brian Gaff

Default Are they Sending babies to Space?

"Paul Morrissey" wrote in message
om...
| Hello,
| I'm interested in finding out about the age limitations for
| Astronauts. A friend recently informed me that he had heard that NASA
| was interested in sending infants into space for some type of
| research. I am totally against sending babies into space. I don't
| think that they have the necessary training and math skills to
| survive. I thought my friend was just pulling my leg about this.
| Please let me know that NASA is not planning on using baby astronauts
| because I am against that.
| Thanks,
| TP

Thanks for the laugh!

I imagine, should we ever want to reproduce off Earth, someone will do it,
but at the moment, young animals flown on missions would give people all the
information they would require, I think. Whether the ethics of flying
animals needs discussion is something else altogether.

I guess that an ethics debate would precede any attempt to form a
sustainable community of humans off Earth.

In other words, if we reproduce, are we infringing the rights of an unborn
child by exposing it to the risks, as yet unknown, of being conceived, and
born in an alien environment.

But then, do we consider this on Earth when unwanted pregnancies occur and
run to term either?

Not a debate for here, I fancy.

Brian

--