Old July 21st 04, 05:26 PM
Robin R. Wier

Default [OT] Peacekeeper Launch from Vandenberg

"Alexander Avtanski" wrote in message
I just saw the Peacekeeper launch from Vandenberg AFB

(California).
Excellent view from San Jose - I've seen several launches

from here,
and this one was in the "very good" category. Bright

yellow-orange
exhaust, separation of the first stage clearly visible;

after
separation could trace the first stage boosters falling

down for
about 30 sec.

The sight of couple of dozen million dollars evaporating

is
always impressive, :-)

- Alex

Hi Alex,

Observed same from Phoenix, AZ. Phone talked a "newbie" in
the L.A. area to a successful observation. He saw the flame
20-30 sec's before me. I was disappointed, but then an
orange yellow spot appeared, rising above the tree line. I
followed it for 1-3 minutes (no watch or real sense of
time). Faded out, followed by a flash(?) 5-10 seconds later.
I thought I might have seen something more for another 2-3
minutes, but decided later it must have been a yellow star.
This was my second successful observation from Phoenix, AZ,
of a non twilight VAFB launch. I was using 15x70 binos
resting on vehicle rear view mirror.

Robin