Old February 1st 08, 08:47 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: M92 is not just Hercules' other globular

Doug W. wrote:

So much for my typographical skills.

Well... I know you can type like crazy... so one partial mistake is allowed
once in a while... When am I going to hear you on the digital modes??? I am
having much fun with soundcard RTTY and PSK.

I loved RTTY with the old mechanical machines and a UT-4 so I could gear
the machines for 100 WPM and type away. After computers replaced
mechanical gear I lost interest. No way I could bring the model 28s and
19's up here so junked them. I've had trouble getting interested again.
I'm about 30 years out of date now.

Time is something I don't have much of lately, Wife's mom broke her hip
so we have 24 hour a day nursing duty. Good thing I'm a night owl. I
guess it is good its been so cloudy, I'd not have the time for imaging
I'd like. In winter 40 and 80 are solid power line noise (something is
arcing but the power company isn't interested in tracking it down) when
temps get below about 20F (which it hasn't even reached now for over a
month). 20 would be usable. Just haven't found the time or interest.
Ice fishing, snowmobiles etc. seem to take up the time I'm not watching
the mother-in-law while the wife sleeps. Then there's the wood chopping
for next winter. It splits far easier when frozen and I don't get so
hot and sweaty. Froze the propane tank a couple times this winter so
had to rely on a lot more wood than usual. Couldn't image the nights we
were forced to burn wood to stay warm. Of course those were the clear
ones. At least we put in a fireplace that can heat the house to 70 in
-30 weather.

I'm imaging through gunk right now but don't think I'll get anything
useful. Brighter stars look foggy so its pretty thick up there. It's
something to do while watching "mom". Got the camera at -35C and it is
now drawing 4% power. If I go lower the front of the optical window
frosts. Not sure which will nail me first, the frost or the gunk.

It's been an "interesting" winter!

Rick