Old March 31st 18, 06:17 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

Default Tabby's Star Dimming Again

On Sat, 31 Mar 2018 13:09:40 -0400, Davoud wrote:

Chris L Peterson:
By my assessment, that's a disaster. It's unsustainable, and when it
collapses it isn't going to be pretty.

I agree with your assessment in general, but I don't believe that a
precipitous collapse is coming. My experiences while living in the
Third World for quite a few years tell me that a nation can be in
decline socially, morally, and (for the masses) economically for a very
long time without their being a crisis point. You and I have to try to
come to terms with the fact that this is no longer "our" -- yours and
my -- country. Americans in sufficient numbers have rejected liberal
democracy, embraced racism (now permitted to be manifested openly) and
xenophobia, rejected education (elitist) and embraced misogyny and
theocracy. I don't see that changing. I wish I could get to the point
where I just say "I've got mine, screw everyone else." That's very hard
for a life-long idealist.

I also agree broadly with your comments here. I do think that on the
whole the morality of the country has been steadily improving over the
last century, and continues to do so. Unfortunately, the decline in
education and general awareness is resulting in monumental problems.

Whether or not there will be a rapid collapse remains to be seen. A
decline in a third world country may not be a good model for a decline
in a developed one.