Old April 17th 04, 06:12 AM
Yoyoma_2

G=EMC^2 Glazier wrote:
Hi Yoyoma Seems the M-theory put life back into the string theory. As
Brian Greene puts it it unites the previous five superstring theories
within a single overarching framework. M-theory to work it has to have
eleven spacetime dimensions. I wonder how many people understand how
these dimensions are used. I know Edward Witten understands it.
B ert

From what i understand its just because they can't factor out some
terms so they become dimensions. We all heard it like "Demensional
equivelence" when you have like for example schrodigner's eqn

(where Y = phi, hbar = h bar, h/2pi, and d for simplicity is the partial
"del" and U(x,y,z,t) is the function for potential energy)

if Y(x,y,z,t) would be the position of the wave in 4d, the equation is
(i*hbar)dY/dt = (-hbar²/2m)(d²Y/dx² + d²Y/dy² + d²Y/dz² ) + U(x,y,z,t)

Now if you are expecint U(x,y,z,t) but when solving the PDE you end up
having a Right-hand term that depends on U(x,y,z,t,a) and a PE that
depends on U(x,y,z,t,a) pretty good chance that you are missing a
dimension. because Y(x,y,z,t) != Y(x,y,z,t,a)

anyway thats my understanding of it anyway. Some of the dimensions can
be curbed in on themselves from what i understand, they could also be
very, very, very small like i heard you would see the difference at like
0.05 Angstroms. Pretty small indeed.

Anyway thats just waht i heard, like i said. I'me not a physics major
this is only my 2nd university physics course hehehe (ok i did 2 in
college but bleh). They throw us into a full year of modern physics as
a cruel way of making us suffer i think hihihi.