Old April 16th 04, 07:13 PM
Yoyoma_2

Painius wrote:
"Odysseus" wrote...
in message ...

Painius wrote:

Whenever i think this small, i remember back when long ago i read
about how there is sooo much space between a nucleus and its
accompanying electrons. And sooo much space between atoms,
and how "ghostly" reality seems to be. And i try and try, but i can't
even *imagine* what this "space" is they're talking about. When i
was a kid i just thought it was "air." But *that* can't be.

So what is it? Nothing? (...and what the heck is *that*?)

g see what you get for boggling my meager mind?

Even Einstein found the idea of "action at a distance" to be
"spooky". Even more counterintuitive (to my at-least-as-meagre mind,
at least) is the notion of space being quantized into 'bits of
nothing' of finite size.

"Space between a nucleus and electrons"? Your making it seem like an
electron is a particle going around, its not. Its a wave guided by
pilot waves, it has a most probable location, but its not guaranteed and
is all probabilistic.

Also you are talking about such a vast area, but remember in finite
structure that the nucleus has an EM field, the electron has an EM field
(because of its movement) and the elctrons with eachother have an EM
field. Its not as "empty" as you think.

Space is pretty full of particles of all kinds The "Space" between
stars is pretty immaginable when you think about it. Pluto's orbit is
11892000000 km in diameter, so 11892000000000 meters. Light travels at
2.997E8m/s in a vaccume (lets assume vaccume) so it crosses the whole
pluto diameter in orbit at 39 666.4443 light-seconds, or 0.459102365 days.

39666.4443 light seconds is 0.00125698062 light years.

Alpha Centauri is what 4Lyr away?

That means its 3175.0915339 times farther away then the diameter of pluto.

I used google for the calculations so like "x years in days" etc. I
am not too sure about its precision but i could do the calculations with
errors if you want, or the validity of it (since i only have 4 hours sleep).

But thats roughly the distance between us and alpha centauri. needless
to say, for the time being, we aint goin' nowhere.

--
Odysseus

Sounds as if you tend to think of space as being made of
something rather than being nothing. What do *you* think
space is?

happy days and...
starry starry nights!