Old May 4th 04, 08:31 AM
Derek Lyons

Default NASA Studying Russian 12-month Plan

Kevin Willoughby wrote:
In article , derekl1963
says...
Kevin Willoughby wrote:
*Reliability* constraints are quite extreme, but I don't see high bandwidth
as necessary.

Indeed, high reliability and high connectivity are the twin
principles that drive the design of the entire communications system.
Not only are there multiple transmission sites for the main broadcast,
there are backup methods of conveying the important stuff as well.

Is any of this publicly available? It would be quite a case-study in
reliability engineering.

The only public sources (which go beyond what I have written) of which
I am aware are largely dated, and concentrate more on the politics
than on the engineering. (I.E. mostly critical of the 'warfighting' of
the Reagan era vice the dying remnants of 'wargasm' that proceeded
them.) Those that don't fit that niche are of the 'gee-whiz Buck
Rogers' variety. Also most of them concentrate mostly on the very
different problems that the USAF faced.

Spinardi ("From Polaris to Trident : The Development of US Fleet
Ballistic Missile Technology") covers some of this if you can get a
copy, and the best (only) technical work on the SSBN/FBM system.

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.