Old September 27th 18, 04:42 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Quadibloc

Default Neil DeGrasse Tyson headed down same loony road as Carl Sagan?

On Thursday, September 27, 2018 at 6:27:20 AM UTC-6, Gary Harnagel wrote:

Yeah, and in the nursery where our sun was born, we may have been quite
close to one or two of those. Our DNA may be shared with a whole swarm
of stars spread all over the galaxy. Or maybe the biblical account is
not so far off: that old, old civilization may have planted us :-)

The notion of life being seeded on Earth by an alien civilization is something
used in a lot of science-fiction stories, and, for that matter, in some of the
flying-saucer literature.

There are basically two forms this notion could take.

One is that aliens put *man* on an already-living planet.

Now that we know how similar humans are to chimpanzees genetically, the idea
that we have alien DNA is hard to take seriously. Plus, of course, there are
fossils of H. erectus and of various forms of Australopithecus.

Australopithecus skeletons strongly resemble those of chimpanzees, but with
adaptations to walking upright, and larger brains.

The other is that life is what the Earth was seeded with.

If so, except for ensuring the Earth had life on it, the aliens would not have
had much influence on what type of life it had. The development of life from its
earliest forms took place on Earth - slowly, over billions of years. This is
recorded by fossils in the ground.

John Savard