Old February 21st 13, 04:44 PM posted to sci.space.station
André , PE1PQX

Default NASA loses contact with ISS

Greg (Strider) Moore formuleerde de vraag :
"Jeff Findley" wrote in message

says...

http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/19/us/nas...html?hpt=hp_t2

Sounds like a software glitch and not a major issue. Yet.

Also, I believe they still have the ham set aboard so in theory could
communicate over most of the orbit.

But communicate with who? Certainly not NASA's mission control.

You underestimate the power of ham operators.

I'm thinking more in the case of an emergency where they can't wait to get in
range of Russia they can CQ and ask someone to do a phone patch to Houston.
Unlikely? Yes.

Legal?? Probably not.. Here in NLD the HAM operation rules states no
message dispatch for third paries allowed, unless an direct emergency
was declared.

But more my point is that while some data might be lost in the meantime, it's
not a real risk to the astronauts.

As far as I know, the US side is able to maintain "constant"
communications because it links with the TDRS satellites via a
directional (parabolic) antenna.

Could be this is what was broken? At least when I posted the URL, it didn't
have much detail.

Jeff