Old June 23rd 03, 08:26 PM
DrStoney42

Default Home made scopes - lenses and mirrors?? Which is best?

I would say that 75% of ATM's (amateur telescope makers), end up making
their optics as well.

How exactly does one do that with out the rather expensive equipment you'd
noramly think involved?

However some standard mirror sets are excellent, and will
usually result in a better scope than the equivalent priced off the shelf
unit

Now conversely, the other 'rule' on
telescopes, is that 'aperture allways wins', and at the end of the day, a 8"
Newtonian, will beat a 4" refractor, giving perhaps 3.5* the light gathering
power, lower limits on resolution

So you'd suggest my first home made being a reflector I take it? I've never
seen an 8" reflecting mirror only smaller versions, is there limits on how big
they can be short of the common sense weight/tensile strength limits?

Your response to my thread is very appreciated and has given me a lot to think
about, thanks a bunch...