Old April 18th 10, 09:37 PM posted to sci.lang,alt.usage.english,sci.astro
Yusuf B Gursey

Default The perpetual calendar

On Apr 10, 8:19*am, "Peter T. Daniels" wrote:
On Apr 4, 8:03*pm, Yusuf B Gursey wrote:

A more logical name for the A.D. (or C.E.) calendar is "Gregorian"
since Pope Gregory sponsored the calendar reform that replace the
previous Julian calendar. Although Gregory was in part motivated by
religious factors, he also recognized that the Julian calendar simply
did not work and was not accurate for keeping time in the Earth-Sun
system. Saying Gregorian calendar should not be any more offensive
than saying, for example, Celsius temperature scale, Dewey decimal
system or Richter
scale, all of which are named for ordinary human beings associated
closely with them.

Thus, we might say A.H. for a date strictly related to Islam and A.D.
for a date strictly relate to Christianity but simply G. or A.G. for
date on the Gregorian calendar that is not used almost universally
for
everyday timekeeping.

Except that Mr. Gregory had nothing to do with determining the number
of the year.

I agree, that was the weak point of poster I quoted.