Old April 15th 10, 02:50 AM posted to sci.lang,alt.usage.english,sci.astro
Oliver Cromm

Default "Year of Our Lord" in the news

* Tak To:

Oliver Cromm wrote:
* Evan Kirshenbaum:

tony cooper writes:

My diploma from Northwestern University (Evanston, IL, USA) has "In
the year of our Lord" on it.
According to Stanford, I graduated

on the Fourteenth Day of June in the Year One Thousand Nine
Hundred and Eighty-Seven the Two Hundred-Eleventh Year of the
Republic and the Ninety-Sixth Academic Year of the University.

(sic on the lack of commas).

In my dentist's office I saw that his was in Latin (from McGill
University in Montreal).

I find it amusing at times how North Americans hold on to that
traditional pompousness. Reminds me of their feudal taste in furniture,
all while seeing themselves as leading modern democracy. On my diplomas
from both Germany and Japan, the year is of course written in numbers,
no Latin (or classical Chinese) is used, and there's no reference to
religion, the Tenno, or anything of that general nature.

Your diploma from Japan is in Japanese, but refers to
the year with just numbers and no reignal name??

Hm, sounds unlikely. Guess I should have checked on that one before
sending it. No, the date is in the Japanese format, so there's an
indirect reference to the tenno.

--
GOGELICH,gogelig, (...) 'fröhlich, lustig, ausgelassen'
GRIMM, Deutsches Wörterbuch