Old May 30th 04, 02:35 PM
OM

On 30 May 2004 04:42:55 -0700, (Remy Villeneuve)
wrote:

Check out Figure 20 at this Gemini page at NASA... The typo speaks for
itself, I found it hilarious!

http://history.nasa.gov/SP-4002/figures.htm

....Actually, I found this one more interesting:

http://history.nasa.gov/SP-4002/images/fig2.jpg

....The use of a "fold-out" or "pop-down" flap to offset the C/G during
reentry enough to provide lift is an interesting concept. Just how far
did this proposal get past the drawing stage? Based on the additional
notes, I suspect not very far :-P

....And then there's this one:

http://history.nasa.gov/SP-4002/images/fig5.jpg

....And was this how the parasail was intended to work on Gemini as
well?

....Of course, if the guys at Mattel had our resources and/or had been
thinking clearly, Major Matt Mason would have had one of these:

http://history.nasa.gov/SP-4002/images/fig8.jpg

....With a missile launcher on the top, too!

....And this one:

http://history.nasa.gov/SP-4002/images/fig37.jpg

....Whatever happened to those old training mockups, anyway? McD still
have them, or did the scrap them and/or donate them to a museum?

....HOLY ****! Beady, rk, Pat, & Henry! Check this out:

http://history.nasa.gov/SP-4002/images/fig48.jpg

....Finally! Evidence of the Ballute proposal I've been looking for for
ages! Gotta flag Mark Wade on this one, natch!

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr