Old November 12th 05, 09:09 PM
Skywise

Default Relativity question

"Doink" wrote in
:

OK, Energy = Mass X Speed of Light Sq.

I understand the principle, that this translates to a BIG number and
thus a lot of energy is contained in matter. Yes, matter is essentially
frozen energy. Stipulated.

By I'm thrown by the SPEED of light thing. If something has a mass of
10 grams and I multiply it by 386,000 mph it doesn't make sense. Is
there a scientific conversion from speed to some other unit????? How do
you multiply mass times speed? Or is it just representational? Can the
explanation be simplified?

Doink.

You can't mix metric and non-metric units without conversion.

One way to express the formula with comparable units is:
energy in joules
mass in kilograms
speed of light in meters/sec (299,792,458)

One conversion is 1kg mass = 89,875,517,873,681,764 joules.

From there, you should be able to convert to any other units
you like.

For reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E%3Dmc2

Brian
Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?
Supernews sucks - blocking google, usenet.com & newsfeeds.com posts