Old October 2nd 16, 03:06 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

Default Musk plans for mars

In article ,
says...

at some point a nuke booster for travel from earth orbit to mars will be necessary..

Bull****. Three to four months is plenty short.

to shorten travel time, and lessen supplies for the manned portion of flights.

Bull****, if SpaceX can make a LOX/methane powered transport vehicle
that big and that fast, "lessening supplies" is not an issue.

a realtively small but very fast booster would be nice to have available for emergencies.

Bull****. With a vehicle that big, there is room for a few doctors and
additional medical personnel.

hey the water recycler is totally kaput, get earth to sen a replacement immediately!

Bull****. With a vehicle that big, redundant systems will be in place.

of course sending one manned vehicle to mars with 2 backups flying close by will also help

Possibly, but the "backups" surely won't be empty. They'd all have
people on them to start with.

Jeff