Old May 4th 04, 08:46 PM
Mary Shafer

On Tue, 04 May 2004 06:39:14 GMT, (Derek
Lyons) wrote:

However, a real cook or baker depends more on what the food is telling
them than on arbitrary time-and-temperature settings.

Actually, temperature is fairly important, particularly for fine
baking. In everything else, the tolerances are fairly large, though.
Bread is particularly tolerant.

I've recently acquired another oven, about 2,000 ft lower than the one
I've used for three decades. It's quite an interesting difference
between the two, probably because of both the altitude change and the
oven variation. Oh, well, I'll master this one eventually.

The two convection ovens are more the same than not, but I don't use
them for fine baking so the altitude difference probably isn't a
factor.

Mary