Old May 4th 04, 07:39 AM
Derek Lyons

"Ami Silberman" wrote:
An American baker is happy baking cookies in Fahrenheit. A French baker
is happy baking cookies in Celsius. Does it really matter? My argument is
that it does not, and that any measurement system that claims to be based
on "natural" relationships is probably not.

And a British baker is happy baking cookies in "Gas Marks". Are these
actually calibrated, or correspond to anything? It confuses me when I watch
Jamie Oliver on the Food Network.

AIUI, yes, they are calibrated.

However, a real cook or baker depends more on what the food is telling
them than on arbitrary time-and-temperature settings.

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.