Old May 4th 04, 01:42 AM
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

"Mary Shafer" wrote in message
On Tue, 4 May 2004 00:15:04 +0800, "Neil Gerace"
wrote:

"Jay Windley" wrote in message

For example, the relationship between liter and kilogram seems
wonderfully logical until you forget to take into account just under

what
precise (and largely arbitrary) conditions a kilogram and a liter of

water
can be considered equivalent.

Most normal situations. What about the relationship between the gallon

and
the pound? And by the way, which gallon and which pound?

For everyday purposes, one gallon of water weighs eight pounds. This
is for the standard cooking gallon, measured in a marked cup, and
pound, measured on a scale. The corrections for temperature, etc, are
smaller than the tolerance in the measurements and this is appropriate
for situations using gallons.

Actually for baking it's often far worse. I saw a quick test done once. I
think it was 3 different sets of cups and spoons. None matched the
equivalent device in the other set. (i.e. all three teaspoons held different
amounts).

So, ultimately it's all relative (and this is in fact the way I believe
professional bakers do it all.)

Mary