Old October 2nd 07, 02:23 PM posted to rec.arts.sf.science,sci.space.history
BradGuth

Default Questions about "The High Frontier"

On Oct 1, 10:45 am, Damien Valentine wrote:

I suppose I want to start off by asking, "Would a Solar Power
Satellite work in the first place?" I know that the idea has gotten a
lot of flak recently; is it still viable or just hopeless?

Obviously you haven't had words with William Mook, the leading wizard
on such things.

I'll also provide the necessary tethered platform, along with all the
clean energy for driving those nifty SBLs as energy cannons, all
situated at the end of my tether dipole element that's associated with
my LSE-CM/ISS. I was planning on hosting a dozen 100 GW class of such
laser cannons, thus 1.2 TW of which roughly half of that energy gets
onto our terrestrial grids.

Of course there are other uses for such SBLs.
- Brad Guth -