Old January 29th 19, 12:10 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

Default Stratolaunch Out Of Launch Vehicle Business

In article , says...

All very reasonable IMHO, I totally agree. All very good points.

I'd also like to see a comparison in development costs between Blue
Origin and Virgin Galactic for a sub-orbital hopper excursion vehicle.

My guess is that Blue Origin spent a lot more developing their
suborbital VTVL than Virgin Galactic has spent on SS1 and SS2. Jeff
Bezos has reportedly been giving Blue Origin $1 billion a year in
funding (a drop in the bucket for his Amazon fortune). Richard Branson,
by comparison, has been a lot more stingy with SS2 funding, IMHO. It's
been how many years since SS1 flew and SS2 still isn't flying with
paying customers on board.

I don't see a viable path for VG to orbit. So it will be a niche vehicle
and if Blue Origin can subsidize hopper flights using profits from
orbital trips, probably also a dead end.

SS2 certainly appears to be a technological dead end. It's an elegant
point design that unfortunately doesn't scale to anything faster and
higher.

Jeff
p.s. I know I shouldn't post at 6:10 a.m., but YOLO.