Old October 5th 18, 04:45 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

Default Neil DeGrasse Tyson headed down same loony road as Carl Sagan?

On Thu, 4 Oct 2018 15:40:53 +0100, Martin Brown
wrote:

Yeah, but those don't really surprise anybody. We almost immediately
understand them in the context of the core physics we already know.

High temperature superconductors did at least for a while and there is
still no good theoretical upper bound on how hot a superconductor can
work. Apparently simple problems can still be tricky to solve.

Again, none of this is changing physics in a significant way. None is
changing our core understanding of things. Important theories are not
being discarded.

Sure, lots of problems are hard to solve. Lots of implications of
physical law are hard to see. But that's not the same at all as what
was happening 100 years ago or more.

In essence, we understand how nature works pretty well. That's
unlikely to change. The "surprises" are just our failure to recognize
consequences of what we know.

Fine until we actually detect a dark matter particle and it turns out to
be nothing like what any of the theorists have predicted. You are
sounding so like a nineteenth century physicist that it is unbelievable.

It's possible. But I predict that it will simply fill in a previously
uncertain square in the Standard Model. No theories will be
overturned.