Old April 10th 06, 11:41 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.moderated

Default Reconsideration

On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 09:10:34 -0400, (Eric
Chomko) wrote:

: All I did was repeat all of the (to me, silly) space policy arguments
: that I've heard over the years, and many people took it as a serious
: post.

Well, in lieu of the setback of SpaceX, what were many of us supposed to
think? How deep is the financial well?

I think they're all right, for now -- Musk has publicly stated that
he's willing to absorb at least a few failures.

I don't think this is really as big a deal as everyone is making it
out to be. Apparently the problem wasn't even with the hardware, it
was with their safety procedures -- worrying, to be sure, but also
probably easier to fix than a real design flaw. They've designed a
completely new launcher, from the ground up; it's no great surprise
that the maiden voyage didn't work. This is pretty typical for brand
new systems -- even for NASA! Remember Vanguard?

I'd give them this launch, and probably another free pass, as well.
Start worrying if unlucky #3 still isn't working.

-n.