Old February 25th 04, 06:58 PM
Ross Lockley

Default At sea-level NOBODY has gone faster than 600KPH, but you believe that they reach 1200KPH, don't you?

In message , Anatid
Bonecki writes
(bart janssens) wrote in message news:

This is a typical example of doublethink.

Sounds like double-talk to me.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/barrier/boom/

Go here to learn about sonic booms, which take place at 1220 Kph. Or
750 Mph.
Wheeled vehicles have reportedly reached speeds in excess of 600 mph.
However friction and resistance of tires, etc. make it hard for a
wheeled vehicle to go past the sound barrier. Airplanes however do it
all the time.

15th October 1997

Blackrock Desert Nevada USA

Thrust SSC

world land speed record - 763 mph

the double sonic booms are audible on the tv coverage.

Some nice pics he

http://www.andrewgraves.biz/ssc_stuff/SSC_pics.htm

including some very nice ones of the shock waves as the car goes
supersonic!

The offical announcement:

From The FIA Website, The World Motor Sport Council released the
following:

WORLD LAND SPEED RECORD
The World Motor Sport Council homologated the new world land speed
records set by the team ThrustSSC of Richard Noble, driver Andy Green,
on 15 October 1997 at Black Rock Desert, Nevada (USA).

This is the first time in history that a land vehicle has exceeded the
speed of sound. The new records are as follows:

Flying mile 763.035 mph (1227.985 kph)
Flying kilometre 1223.657 kph (760.343 mph)

In setting the record, the sound barrier was broken in both the north
and south runs.

Paris, 11 November 1997

--
Ross Lockley
Galashiels

www.analoguesat.co.uk

www.digitalsat.co.uk

"Sender" and "From" addresses are spam trapped.
Please ensure you use my "Reply To" address if you want to contact me.