Gerald Kelleher
external usenet poster

Default A Journey Around Earth in Real Time [4k]

On Thursday, November 22, 2018 at 4:52:53 PM UTC, Davoud wrote:
StarDust:
Enjoy...

Zzzzzz. Huh? Really? Ruin my Thanksgiving holiday by watching 90
minutes of cliched, slo-mo video of the Earth from space? Are you that
desperate for entertainment? 'Cuz I'm not.

--
I agree with almost everything that you have said and almost everything that
you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm

Visiting this guy's website is like being stung in the face .

http://www.primordial-light.com/scienceis.html#cold

So let's see what he makes of astronomy -

"Science deals with assertions and observations about the World that can be tested and either verified or falsified."

If people are going to run after mathematicians then the rules are that a fact or axiom exists to be proved. The fact is the Earth turns once based on the observation of sunrise/noon/sunset event where the Sun appears to circle the Earth each day.

If people want to prove the axiom that the Earth runs a circuit of the Sun then the observation is that the Sun appears to move through a circuit of the constellations every 365 1/4 days.

It is unlikely that people here will choke on their turkey dinner when encountering an attempt to use the observation for the proof of daily rotation and transfer it to orbital motion. That bad taste in people's mouths is not bad turkey but an enormous waste of time and energy directed at astronomical insights that do not take a holiday because people are unable to recognise them -

"That the fixed stars being at rest, the periodic times of the five primary planets, and (whether of the sun about the earth, or) of the earth about the sun, are in the sesquiplicate proportion of their mean distances from the sun.... for the periodic times are the same, and the dimensions of the orbits are the same, whether the sun revolves about the earth, or the earth about the sun." Newton

Give thanks that we can see our planet from space and to the spiritual/inspirational background against which those motions are encompassed by giving life to its inhabitants, even miserable ones like this old nuisance.