Old October 26th 17, 08:16 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Gerald Kelleher

Default The First Known Interstellar Comet

On Thursday, October 26, 2017 at 4:51:22 AM UTC+1, palsing wrote:

We are so lucky to live in an era where the instruments used to view the universe are producing results that could not even have been imagined 100 years ago. I'm just a little depressed that I won't be around to see what is to be found in another 50 or 100 years, stuff that I can't imagine today :(

Oh well, I can still marvel at today's astronomical bounty.

\Paul A

It is good that you marvel today at imaging Paul because a few years ago it was somewhat different -

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-T...015%2Beng..jpg

You already know that Venus and Mercury are seen to run their circuits from a slower moving Earth therefore the perspectives change for the slower moving Mars,Jupiter and Saturn seen from a faster moving Earth.

So don't be depressed, you were among the first to see the partitioning of perspectives and how to account for a moving Earth, a central Sun and the change in relationship between an evening and morning appearance of the background stars as the Earth runs its circuit of the Sun.