Old December 17th 16, 10:37 PM posted to sci.space.history
Scott M. Kozel[_2_]

Default The Space Race was about Power Projection - Miles O'Brien

On Saturday, December 17, 2016 at 3:21:24 PM UTC-5, Stuf4 wrote:
From David Spain:

I disagree with you totally here. Specifically, this statement:
"The space shuttle would obviously not qualify as an attack due to its trajectory."

I see this to be a perfect Trojan Horse candidate. No one suspects the shuttle. It overflies all these nations. If the US wanted to initiate a nuclear attack, a very easy way to do that would be by launching the shuttle with a nuke warhead FOBS-type platform in the payload bay. You've just achieved the element of surprise.

No way that would be feasible. One craft even with multiple warheads could execute only a very limited attack. A strategic nuclear attack would have involved at least a thousand warheads well distributed around the USSR and Warsaw Pact.