Old October 5th 08, 04:31 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

Default Viewing by eye versus astrophotography

On Sun, 05 Oct 2008 09:17:01 -0500, William Hamblen
wrote:

On Sun, 5 Oct 2008 00:49:22 +1000, "Peter Webb"
wrote:

For example, I have heard that you can start seeing the spiral structure of
galaxies at about a 8 - 10" telescope aperture; if you are doing
astrophotography can this be seen with a lower aperture scope?

You can photograph this with a telephoto lens.

I imaged M51 once using a pinhole! Not beautiful, but somewhat more
structure, and far more contrast, than I've ever seen visually through a
telescope.

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com